More than a school...
an experience!
Slider

Woodridge Mission

As a Christian School, Woodridge adopts a holistic approach to education and aims to develop the body, mind and spirit to enable each pupil to reach his or her potential.

To achieve this, Woodridge offers and challenges pupils to experience the broadest possible range of academic, cultural, spiritual, social, outdoor and sporting interactions by exploiting the following attributes: 

  • Individual attention
  • healthy, natural interaction with the environment
  • Nurturing of leadership and self-discipline
  • Encouraging free thinking and independent individuals
  • Service to the community

Holistic education

Encouraged into experiences

Independent free thinking individuals

Respect, integrity, empathy and tenacity

Basic Rights of the ‘Family’:

  • Pupils have the right to learn
  • Staff have the right to teach
  • Parents have the right to service

In order to uphold these rights, the following moral values are encouraged:

  • Mutual respect and dignity
  • Integrity and honesty
  • Empathy and interaction
  • Tenacity and teamwork
  • Appreciation and care for the environment

Trust Members

In 1996, the executive function of the Trust was vested in the hands of the Executive Committee of Trustees to be more inclusive and more effective. The full Trust meets once per annum, while the Executive Committee of Trustees meet at least quarterly.

The Executive Committee of Trustees for 2018 is as follows:

  • Mr A Puggia – Chairman – (Ex Parent and Old Boy)
  • Mr P Lynch – Vice Chairman (Current parent and Old Boy)
  • Mr W Moss – Trustee – Current Parent
  • Mrs K Turro – Trustee – Current Parent
  • Mr G Yerolemou – Trustee (Current Parent)
  • Mr D Nezar – Trustee (Old Boy)
  • Derek Bradley –  Ex Officio (Headmaster, College)
  • Mr T von Berg – Ex Officio (Headmaster, Prep)
  • Mr C Warner  – Ex Officio (Business Manager)

 Banking Details

Account name:             Woodridge Trust

Bank:                            Standard Bank

Account number:          080372120

Type of account:           Business Current Account

Branch:                        Port Elizabeth

Branch code:                050017

 Day Scholar Buses

Daily Buses are provided to transport day-pupils to and from Woodridge. These pupils are collected and dropped off again in areas where they are seen by the general public and it is therefore important that they present a good image for the School. To check the various times for each venue, please take a look at the booking form below.

Peace of mind for working parents

Safe and secure transport

Woodridgean

Women of Woodridge

The Women of Woodridge, previously also known as Moms on the Move (MOM) came about in the early years of Woodridge School when local mothers stepped forward and took boarders home over weekends – A MOM away from home.

Over the years the focus shifted and catering for sport and other functions became the main aim of the MOMs. This function has now been taken over by the school kitchen and the Coffee Shop.

The main function of WOW is now to create opportunities for mothers to socialize which is facilitated through coffee mornings with different themes and guest speakers as well as other functions.

All funds raised by WOW are utilized to fund out-of-budget projects for the school that the WOW Committee approves.

Serve and assist

Develop and promote

Going the extra mile

Sharing the care

“We all find ourselves part of the wonderful Woodridge Village and together we can build a stronger community for our children and ourselves by working together and supporting each other.”

As a mother of a Woodridge child you are automatically part of this family and we hope that you will support the functions to keep this tradition alive.

The goal of the Women of Woodridge (this includes all Mothers of Woodridge children and staff) is to integrate the parents into the Woodridge Family.

WOW’s Mission is to…

Serve, Assist, Develop and Promote the Interest of the School through Fellowship

My School Card

Through marketing by the large corporate brands most of the members of the Woodridge Community are aware that by having a My School Card and swiping it prior to every purchase at selected shops you can contribute a percentage of your payment to Woodridge School. As a new initiative we are linking all these contributions to the Women of Woodridge (WOW Ladies) committee who have identified a number of projects they will be completing with the money that is raised through the My School concept.

The first project was the procuring of a tractor for the smoothing of the recently refurbished Show Jumping arena at the Equestrian Centre. This first class arena is now maintained in excellent condition and will raise the standard of our team of outstanding horse riders.

Please take a look at the attached advert for the My School Card and ensure that you have an active card and that the beneficiary is Woodridge College. This site will be updated regularly to keep the Woodridge community informed of the projects being completed by the WOW Ladies.

Please read below

Dear Moms & Dads

The My School Card fundraising initiative for Woodridge is managed by the WOW Committee and only requires members of the Woodridge community to Swipe your My School Card at any of the shops listed below. All funds raised are allocated to WOW (Women of Woodridge) Projects identified by the school to improve facilities for our children. Termly financials will keep everyone updated on income and projects completed.

So what do you have to do?          

If you do not have a My School Card sign up for one by going to myschool.co.za

If you have a card make sure it says Woodridge College & Preparatory School – if not go to myschool.co.za and update your profile.

Now all you do have do is Shop & Swipe

Rebuild Feature

Administrative Staff

Lindi Clephane

Lindi Clephane

PA to College Headmaster

 

Heather von Berg

Heather von Berg

PA to College Deputy Headmaster

 

Melanie Darlow

Melanie Darlow

PA to Prep Headmaster

 

 

Stephanie Els

Stephanie Els

College Receptionist, Day Buses

 

Lizaan Stamos

Lizaan Stamos

Preparatory School Secretary

 

Michelle Falconer

Michelle Falconer

Aftercare Facilitator

 

Denise Du Preez

Denise Du Preez

Accountant

 

 

Eiona Rathbone

Eiona Rathbone

Creditors Clerk (Temp)

 

Jo-Anne Meyer

Jo-Anne Meyer

Assistant to Estate Manager

 

Anthony De Villiers

Anthony De Villiers

Director of Marketing

 

 

Maxime Bird

Maxime Bird

Head of Carter Residence

 

Caryl Strauss

Caryl Strauss

Sanatorium Sister

 

Gisela Baard

Gisela Baard

Sanatorium Sister

 

Louise Aylward

Louise Aylward

Housekeeping

 

Annemarie Botes

Annemarie Botes

School Shop Manageress

 

Lisa Eden

Lisa Eden

Bursar, Head of Founders Residence

 

Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey

School Shop Assistant

 

Nicolette Copley

Nicolette Copley

Functions, Catering Manageress

 

 

Tercia Davids

Tercia Davids

School Shop Assisant

 

Pam Swanepoel

Pam Swanepoel

Catering Manageress

 

Roslyn Pienaar

Roslyn Pienaar

Prep & College Librarian, Head of ECO Committee

 

Mariska Kukard

Mariska Kukard

Catering Manageress

 

Reaan Henkeman

Reaan Henkeman

IT

 

Gail Morgan

Gail Morgan

Manageress of Coffee Shop

 

 

Pieter Nel

Pieter Nel

IT Manager

 

Eleni Pullen

Eleni Pullen

Equestrian Centre Manager & Instructor

 

 

Janice Little

Janice Little

Equestrian Centre Assistant Manager & Instructor

 

 

Lynne Niemann

Lynne Niemann

Marketing & Communications

 

Craig Warner

Craig Warner

Business Manager

Tanya Smith

Tanya Smith

Debtors Administrator

 

Carl Greyling

Carl Greyling

Estate Manager

 

Hazel Twala

Hazel Twala

Debtors Clerk

 

Arnold Aylward

Arnold Aylward

Estate Management

 

Janine Olivier

Janine Olivier

Stakeholder Engagement Coordinator

 

 

Rynhardt van der Poll

Rynhardt van der Poll

Human Resources

 

School History: a Legacy

In 1862 the Divisional Council of Uitenhage granted a license to operate the Cadle Hotel to Henry William Carpenter Cadle. Although it is not clear exactly when it was built, it became a popular nineteenth century coaching inn, especially amongst newlyweds as a honeymoon destination, sometimes affectionately referred to as ‘Cuddles’.

College Hall and kitchen in 1975

In 1916, Cadles ceased to be a hotel and 8 years later, in 1924, it was purchased by Dr George Porter Mathew as a weekend retreat for his family. Daughter of Dr George Porter Mathew, Mervynne Mathew, married Leslie Carter in 1930. He attended St Andrews College and studied at Rhodes towards a BSc degree. Leslie also taught at Michaelhouse, before joining some distant cousins, the Ruddles, who were starting up a Prep School in Pretoria, called Waterkloof House Preparatory School. Leslie and Mervynne spent several happy years there but always wanted to return to the Eastern Cape and particularly to Cadles. Upon Dr Mathew’s retirement it took a great deal of persuasion by his daughter and son-in law to convince the good doctor that starting a school in the years of the Great Depression was viable. He eventually allowed them to use the buildings of the old hotel to establish the school. He and his wife, Mabel, lived in a cottage on the school grounds. He loved woodwork, and busied himself building desks and other furniture.

Once the decision had been made to start the school, there was much discussion around the name until they eventually settled on calling it Woodridge, which so ideally suits the surrounds of the school. The Christmas holidays of 1935 saw a hive of activity at Cadles with friends and relatives being roped in to help set up the school in time for the opening.

In January 1936, Woodridge Preparatory School opened its doors for the first time in what used to be the Cadles Hotel. With no financial backing, it was an act of faith by the founders, Leslie and Mervynne Carter, who enrolled only two boys and a girl on the first day. 

1900’s Cadels Hotel and the dam – now forms part of the reserve

Prior to the first day, only one boy, Derek Pike, the son of a neighbour had already enrolled. Undaunted, the Carters toured the area to inform the locals of the start of the new school. With the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, progress in terms of admissions was severely curtailed by both building and petrol restrictions. It was only after the war that the numbers climbed to the planned maximum of eighty pupils.

On the 2nd of December 1957, Leslie Carter handed over the ownership of the school to the Woodridge Trust in the hope that what he had started, would be perpetuated.

In 1965 it became obvious that there was a need to develop a senior school as some of the parents were having difficulty in placing their sons in private schools after they had completed their Preparatory education. By the end of that year, a decision was taken to found Woodridge College and to develop the School along the lines of the ideals so successfully applied at Gordonstoun in Scotland.  One of the prime movers behind this decision was the then Chairman of the Trust, Mr Leo Kohler, who occupied this position until he retired in 1986.

In 1966, the first four standard 7 pupils were accepted for Woodridge College, while ten standard 6 boys at the Preparatory School were regarded as part of the new school. At the end of that year, Mr Leslie Carter, who had been suffering from ill health, retired and the Trust appointed Mr Keith Starck to take over the running of the College, while Mr Carter’s son, Roger, was asked to oversee the Preparatory School.

In 1967 the College officially opened with twenty-seven pupils in standards six, seven and eight and eighty pupils in the Preparatory School.

In 1968, the year in which Leslie Carter died, the first permanent brick structure, named after him, was built. About 3 years later, in 1971, wooden houses were purchased from the contractors of the new Van Staden’s bridge after the structure was completed. These became, and still are, the nucleus of Kohler House, the boy’s dormitory.

Kohler dorms in the 1970s

By 1972 the Prep had 110 pupils, while the College had grown to 180. Initially intended to be a boys’ only school, even from its earliest days, Woodridge Preparatory was seldom without a girl or two – the official policy was that staff daughters and those of neighbours could attend the school up to standard three. With an increase in the amount of requests from parents, the first official girls were accepted in 1973 at the College. Today the girls make up nearly half the total enrolment.

Surf lifesaving club of 1973

Conditions in the early years of the College were rather spartan and accommodation at a premium for the staff. Water had to be pumped up to the reservoirs from the Van Stadens River and electricity was generated by two old Lister engines. The College was initially housed in prefabricated buildings but later, due to the generosity of Anglo American’s Chairman’s Fund and the Industrial Council, more permanent structures such as the Science Block (1972) and the Dining Hall and Kitchens (1974) were erected.

Apart from the initial buildings at the College, which were erected by contractors, all subsequent structures were built by the school’s own labour force at an enormous saving.

In the early 1990’s, the school introduced a ‘day scholar’ option for parents and today some 300 pupils are bussed to and from school from various pick up points within Port Elizabeth, and from Uitenhage. Jeffreys Bay, Hankey and St Francis, amongst others.

Woodridge has, as its main philosophy, the development of the whole character of the pupils. Whilst academics remain the main consideration, the site of the school lends itself to the furthering of character-building activities, not only on the sports fields, but in the wider context of Outdoor Education. This involved, amongst others, mountaineering, canoeing, sailing and surf lifesaving. Since 1974, Woodridge was the first school with its own Lifesaving Club, which patrolled the treacherous Van Stadens beach, and later looked after the Jeffreys Bay Beach. Today this club patrols the St Francis Bay beach. Another noteworthy achievement was the establishment of a Nature Reserve within the confines of the school.

In 2011, the Preparatory School celebrated 75 years, while the College celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2016. Over the years, both the College and Preparatory School have shown remarkable growth, with numbers reaching just over 700 between the two schools, a far cry from that first day in 1936!

Vacancies

Email us

Contact us

  Phone:

College switchboard: 041 492 0005
Prep switchboard: 041 492 0006

  Other important numbers to note:

Debtors administration: 041 492 2446
Clothing shop: 041 492 2406
Travel arrangements: 041 492 2390
Sanatorium: 041 492 2407

Location

Van Staden's Pass Heights

Latitude: -33.916796 | Longitude: 25.203623